19 September, 2012

Little Botanists

 

We are well into our study of plants this year (using Apologia's Young Explorers series--botany). I must say that we have learned some amazing things. For instance, you know how when you fail to mow the grass and the lawn starts to resemble a wheat field? Well, those are little wheat thingies are actually flowers. Who knew?
 
I won't spoil the rest of the book but let me just say that it's a fantastic study on plants. Initially I was sorta like "Eh." but it's proving to be just fascinating. There are so many outdoor activities that go along with this lesson and I know I will never look at all the greenery in my yard the same.
 
We picked up a little Venus Flytrap today at the store. Of course we spent waaaay too much time this afternoon trying to feed the plant tiny insects we collected from the yard. So far, no luck on getting the flytrap to close but I'm thinking the little plant might need some time to get used to us.
 


No comments: