05 September, 2012

Dogs of our Lives

It's been over two years since we had to send our beloved lab, Summer, to doggie heaven.  It darn near broke my heart to lose that dog. She was about four years old when I got her from the shelter and we had her for ten years. She was my first big dog.

My life was (and still is) very full and I think I hardened my heart to really loving another dog again. Every once in awhile Jason would bring up getting another big dog and I'd quickly remind him of all the inconveniences a dog would bring to our househould. And I would remind him that we do in deed have a dog. Allie, our aging dachshund, has always been a very interesting creature. She's sort of like a "cat-dog" and by that I mean she's deficient in the loyalty quality that makes a dog a really good dog. She's also aloof and independant. Actually quite perfect for our family. We can say we have a dog and frequently the only sign we have one is the food disappearing from the dog bowl and the tiny dog poos littering the corner of the yard.

So fast forward a little over a week ago and I was at a friend's baby shower. Two friends were sharing the joys and trials of raising puppies. Mostly what stuck with me where the miseries of puppyhood and I was relieved I didn't have the task of teaching manners to yet another creature. Phew. Allie wouldn't be living forever (most likely...you never know...she's a strange dog) and after her exit from the world we probably wouldn't even get another canine. Why risk it?

A few days after the baby shower one of the friends who was discussing puppyhood gave me call and presented me with an offer I would have immediately refused had it been even two months ago. They needed to find a home for their 8 month old golden retriever puppy, Oggie. My common sense screamed "Hells no!" but my affection for my friend caused me to say, "Let me talk to Jason about it and I'll get back to you." I figured that together Jason and I could talk each other out of even thinking of adding this dog to the family.

We failed to argue the "con" side of just trying out the dog and two days later my friend brought Oggie over to our house. "Don't get attached!" my hard heart screamed. Well, either my heart wasn't made of stone as much as I had thought or Oggie is just really wonderful b/c it didn't take 24 hours for that orange boy to work his way into my heart.



Oggie is everything you want in a dog. If it's possible for a dog to be self deprecating, he is. His mood flows with mood of the family. If the kids are running around and hyper he is all game and ready to play; when it's time to for us to work on our school work or if Jason and I want to crash in front of the t.v. Oggie will collapse on the floor nearby and take a snooze. He wants to be inside and involved in whatever is going on but he's content to just sit there and be with you. He is not annoying and demanding of affection. He does not jump. He does not whine. He does not bark unless he has a real reason to. He does not steal food. He does not dart out of the door. Honestly, he is just about the perfect dog. And when he messes up (a chewed item here and there, too much enthusiastic licking of the baby, covert couch napping), you just can not be mad at him.


I've decided Oggie is just that wonderful. My heart was indeed quite hard towards getting another dog. Sometimes part of me thinks "Don't get attached...you've got 12-14 years max with him and then what? Another heart break." But one look into those chocolate brown eyes followed by him stealing a quick lick of my face and I know there isn't a chance of a hard heart returning.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

love it!! He is a cutie and I can see, fits right in! :)

Wendy said...

Thank you! I think he's too good for our family ;)