24 April, 2012

Little Miracle

Today I was walking around the house, talking on the phone to the husband.  We were preparing to attack and conquer the grocery store and everyone was running around. I peeked into the caterpillar nursery and I saw this: 


Which made me scream into the phone "There's a monarch hatching! There's a monarch hatching! Girls, get in here!" Jason, understanding these things and exhibiting one of the 1001 reasons we are perfect together, just said "Ok. Bye." and hung up.

And indeed, there was a monarch hatching. I grabbed my camera and got some very bad pictures of the brand new butterfly emerging because everyone's heads kept getting in the way. But I did manage to snap a few of this amazing process.



 Just 20 seconds after emerging (it took me that long to position everyone to a satisfactory view).



 This is about one minute after hatching. See how swollen the buttefly's belly is? It has to pump all those fluids into it's wings quickly. Note the chrysalis that it is still hanging from.

 Thirteen minutes after emerging.

 We released the butterfly later that afternoon.



He (yes, the girls can tell the difference) easily flew across the yard and into a tree. We watched the little guy for a moment and then I ushered the girls back into the house before we witnessed the newly freed butterfly fly into traffic or take a horrific detour into the chicken run. Farewell little creature, may your journey be gentle!

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Super fabulous experience!!!! Your pix are great.
I have enjoyed this exp even learning about the impending doom on more than half of our catch. It was worth it. Incredible!

Wendy said...

It was all worth it after they started to hatch. Now raising swallowtails--that is significantly less heartbreaking! You "harvest" the caterpillars when they are tiny and they almost always make it butterflies. I'm still pondering our PBS show ;)