20 December, 2012

Sickmas 2012

(Believe it or not, there is an 8 year old in that chair.)
 
Quite unfortunately our household has been hit with the flu. Right now the four girls are laid out like rugs. I've been trying to keep the baby away from the sick people and that has been a challenge because he does not like to be away from momma!
 
Last night I was facing some serious disappointment regarding the timing of our sickness. Six days before Christmas? Very, very inconvenient. And we rarely get sick. I was tempted to become depressed and negative due to the circumstances--and I did have a few moments of that. I mean, with all of the horror of Newtown as well as what has seemed to be bad news over and over for so many we know, we could really use some Christmas cheer, right?
 
When the advancement of the plague became apparent late last night, I made a dash to the store to re-stock our supplies. Our dishwasher was also experiencing a sick day so I wanted to get disposable plates/cups. And some cough syrup for goodness sake. Ok, and some chocolate to soothe my nerves.
 
On the 7 minute ride to the store I heard a song I had never heard before. The lyrics that snapped me out of my funk were this:
 
Even if the healing doesn't come
And life falls apart
And dreams are still undone
You are God You are good
Forever faithful One
Even if the healing
Even if the healing doesn't come
 
I was reminded of God's sovereignty. That He knew we would be sick right now, before and possibly on Christmas. And He does work all things together for the good of those who love Him.
 He is good and this is good.
 
My dreams of a fun, festive, memory-making Christmas are looking pretty unlikely. Our Advent activities have been suspended indefinitely, our little gingerbread sleighs are untouched and still wrapped in plastic, we will miss Jason's office Christmas party, we will not be seeing my family for a big old bonfire, we probably won't be able to do the Christmas light tour, it's unlikely we will be able to attend our wonderful church's Christmas service, and I'm giving it a 50/50 chance that we'll have Jason's family over on Christmas Day.  
 
But perhaps having all these wonderful traditions stripped away will bring us to spend even more time reflecting on the true meaning of Christmas, which is our Lord and Savior's birth +2000 years ago.
 
So, even if the healing doesn't come before December 25, even if we are eating jello and chicken soup instead of a delightful Christmas brunch, we will strive for joyous hearts. Because if we only have Jesus and what He has done for us, that ought to be more than sufficient, shouldn't it?

No comments: