29 March, 2012

May 1988, Part Five

After learning of my dad's death I went on nine year old autopilot. I remember very little of that time and not much about the following year in general. I do recall being in a shoe store trying on shiny black dress shoes. Shoes I would be wearing to my father's funeral. I just could not believe that was all real. Normally I would have been excited to own such shiny new dress shoes but I all I could do was sit and stare at the pretty shoes while my mom helped Heather try on her pair.

I only remember a few things about my dad's wake. We (Heather, Jessica, and I ) played tag in the funeral home after most everyone had left. I recall running past my dad's grey casket. I was laughing but I was sad on the inside. Isn't that amazing? I still can't make any sense of it but I was just a kid and didn't know what I was supposed to do anyway. I had probably been sitting for hours by that point. My most poignant memory from the wake is seeing my dad's best friend, Pee-Wee on his knees in front of the casket, sobbing his eyes out.

The following day was the funeral. We got to ride in a limo. I thought that was pretty cool. What I did not think was cool was that I was not allowed to ride with my mother. Everywhere I went people told me to "Stop bothering your mother." Literally. I probably heard that phrase fifty times over that week. I couldn't get within ten feet of her without someone deflecting me. I know that our family was trying to help my mom but what an awful thing to do to two grieving little girls: tell them they can't be near their mother. Who else is going to be able to help them make sense of all of this? My memories of my father's funeral are full of instances of me trying to be close to my mom and my extended family pushing me away.

My sister and I rode with our grandparents, my mother's parents. Mom and other family members rode in another limo. We pulled up to the cemetery and stepped out of the limousines. I could not believe how many people were there. We were ushered through the nearly silent crowd and seated under a little green tent in front of my dad's casket which was heaped with flowers. I have no memory of what the minister, Frank Mullins (a dear friend of my parents--the missionary who lead my parents to The Lord), said during the ceremony. I just kept staring at that grey box and trying to picture my dad lying in there in a blue suit. I just sat there, with no desire to move or talk or think. At least I was sitting by my mom though.

I think this is where I"ll stop. I don't remember a lot after this point anyway.

I love and miss both my parents. Still having a hard time believing that they are both gone. They had their issues for sure but I loved them both very much. It pains me that my dad has missed so much. He never got the chance to know my brother Matthew. Dad had become a grandfather just two months before his death and he never even got to see his grandchild. Now, there are sixteen grandchildren.

That one event completely changed the course of everyone in my immediate family's lives. That is a positive thing for me but it might not be for the other members of my family; I can only speak for myself and offer a pitiful but whole hearted thank you to God (He has been so good to me and I do not deserve a bit of it). We all had a hard time adjusting after Dad's death but some of us had a more difficult time. Looking back I can see the twisty path that led me here. If the accident hadn't happened we would not have eventually moved back to our old house; I wouldn't have gone to a Christian school where I first realized my need for Jesus; our family would not have been split up and scattered just five years after the accident; I wouldn't have ended up in Texas at 16 years old really wondering "WHAT NOW?"; I wouldn't have met Jason four months after landing in the Lonestar State; and so on. There were some major redemptive life themes waiting for me.

But I did not know any of this in May, 1988.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow.....I just want to give you a hug. Steve and I just read this (or I read it aloud I should say) and I am amazed by you. You are so strong and what an amazing writer you are! I'm so sorry for your loss...and yet God had a plan. You are so blessed and your dad is with you every single day. I know he is so proud of you. Fitting that those are the last words you remember hearing him say. :)

Wendy said...

Thank you for your sweet words :)And thanks for reading the whole saga--whew, it got kind of long!

CP said...

Reading your beautifully written account was like looking through a glass darkly. I was one of your boat neighbors in 1988, and have wondered, worried, and thought about all of you for more than 20 years now. Your memories brought forth my own of that terrible time, and it both answered questions and begged others. Thank you, thank you.

It is especially heartbreaking to think that last time I had any contact was during the aftermath of the accident and the passing of your dear father, and then the next -- however indirect -- contact, I learn of your sweet mother's recent passing. I am so very sorry and keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lotus said...

Have you ever considered writing a book?? You are such a great writer. I kept forgetting I was reading about my friend. Such an amazing surreal story. I can't imagine going through all that, yet like you said, it all brought you to the amazing life you live now.

Wendy said...

Aw, thanks Lotus! My book has to wait until a few more people die (JUST KIDDING!!!). Seriously though, thanks for the compliment. Funny, since I've written the story out it hasn't come to mind very often. I think I was afraid I'd forget the details so I'd think on them more than I care to admit.
CP---I'd love any info you could offer! Which boat did you live on? Were you home when the accident happened? If you ever feel led to share, I'd be grateful. God Bless!

CP said...

Hi Wendy, sorry to just be writing back. My family and I lived on the E.K. Ellington, right next door to the Heather. I had two little children, one who was almost four at the time, and the younger one had just turned one. Many, many memories of the boating/liveaboard life. I have a few photos you might be interested in. And some memories and stories of those long ago days. The last time we saw you, your mom, sister, and baby brother, was when we took you all out on a cruise a couple of months after the accident. I think your mom rightly went with the "falling off horse/get back on" theory. I remember we brought you and Heather a new pony palace, "Paradise Estates." We tried to do anything, everything we could, but of course nothing could make things right again. I remember often during that time wishing I could just hit "rewind." If you'd like me to write more, just send an email to cp8487@gmail.com Take care, and so very happy to see how well you are doing -- what a beautiful family, so happy together!