13 October, 2011

Missing Out

A week ago at nearly this hour my mom passed away after a two year battle with lung cancer.


I actually miss her more today than I did a week ago. I keep forgetting that I can't call her to tell her that:
after almost four months it finally rained,
Hailey broke her ankle last Saturday,
our stubborn chicken finally resumed laying,
we caught a tiny little toad on the porch,
my tomato plant has a tomato and plenty of flowers,
her newest grandchild is growing well--I can no longer fit into most of my clothes
oh, and my iron count dropped and I'm taking nasty iron supplements but that's probably the reason I'm so tired, can't catch my breath and keep having heart palpitations. You were right about that, Mom!  


All of these things she would have loved to know and it makes me sad that she's missed out on hearing these little bits of news from our life.


Just these little snippets of news that even I will hardly remember as time passes by.


She's missing our lives, one moment at a time.


However...


Today in the car we heard the song "Better is One Day In Your Courts"


"Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere"


And I know that's true. So it helps. A lot. Because I know that nothing compares to where she is at this very moment.


And that makes me smile.



Mom, Age 7



Fall 1979 (with me)

1980 (with me)

(with me)

(with my sister, Heather)




2002 (with Hailey)


2 comments:

Doing our part to keep Austin Weird! said...

So sorry...I hate that you are in this club. A club nobody wants to be in. I am here for you...

Naomi said...

Love your pictures of your mom. She was beautiful. Indeed she is walking, talking, whole in the presence of our Savior and Father God! Praise God. Grief is never easy but you are an example of what God's peace and grace is through this time. You see the best in the situation and focus on that, and I knw that helps, and its encouraging.
Yes, better is one day in your courts than 1000's else where.